Skip to main content

Introduction to Sorare

Intro

 I'm resurrecting this blog to talk about my latest hobby. About a month ago I became aware of a platform called Sorare. I was immediately intrigued as it combined a long-enjoyed hobby of mine (fantasy sports) with a very recent one (cryptocurrency & blockchain technology).

Think of the baseball cards you collected as a kid. If you grew up in the 90's like me then maybe your collection is sitting in the basement like this:



While my trip down the cryptocurrency rabbit hole earlier this year made me a believer that crypto in some form is inevitably here to stay, I was slightly more mystified by the attraction of NFTs (non-fungible tokens) But as I learned about Sorare, my view shifted from one of "that's not for me" to "I need to try this out".

Especially when compared to those sports cards I mentioned earlier, the cards on Sorare have some significant advantages:

  1. Easily sellable/transferrable (digital marketplace)
  2. Easily verifiable
  3. No worry of physical damage
  4. More scarce (particularly compared to those of my childhood era)
  5. Contain utility (win other cards and/or win cryptocurrency)
The final point has to be what tipped the scales for me- it transforms the cards from collectables to pieces in a game where you can win something of value.

What are the scarcity levels?

I should first mention Common cards. These are giving to you upon signup, are not limited in number created, cannot be bought/sold/traded, and have little utility other than a few exceptions. But I think of those more like monopoly money. The real value comes when talking about these 3 levels, which have limited supply:
  1. Rare (supply of 100)
  2. Super Rare (supply of 10)
  3. Unique (supply of 1)
How do you acquire cards?

Before I explain the basics of gameplay, there are several ways to acquire cards on the Sorare site:
  1. Buy them "new" from an auction format called "New Signings"
  2. Buy or trade for them from other users on what's called the "Transfer Market"
  3. Win them by entering a League tournament using cards you already own.
Gameplay Overview

I would like to expand on the utility & gameplay in further posts, but the TLDR is that you select 5 of your cards to participate in a gameweek. As those athletes compete in real life, they accumulate between 0 & 100 points on the Sorare platform based on a unique scoring system. The combined score of your 5 cards is your score for that gameweek, and you are competing against other owners
who have each selected 5 of their cards for that time period. A certain percentage of the top scoring users are then rewarded with another card. There is also a threshold in one of the leagues whereby scoring over a certain amount rewards you with either .01 or .02 Ethereum (roughly $17 or $34 at the time of this writing). The ability to earn Eth by meeting that threshold regardless of how you compare to other entrants is very enticing.

To Be Continued...

I plan to be back very soon with my own experience as I've attempted to acquire enough Rare cards to compete in the big boy leagues. I'll share some of the highlights and challenges along the way. Stay tuned.

Note: If you are thinking about signing up, please consider using my link. We'll each get a Rare card once you buy 5 "New Signings" in the auction. During signup, when it asks you for your 3 favorite teams, I'd recommend choosing teams from any of these 3 leagues: MLS, J-League, or K-League. That way, you have a better chance of getting a Common goalkeeper that you can use in higher level contests throughout the summer. More on that later. In the meantime, I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Atlético Mineiro Follow-Up

A quick follow-up after my post on Atlético Mineiro trying to find value options on the  Sorare  platform. I hope I haven't jinxed them! After talking about what good form they've been in, they've gone on to lose 2 straight, scoring only 1 goal in the process. Certainly the lack of some key pieces and incessant schedule have to be playing a role and so I don't think fans need to panic just yet. But on to the team news and assessment of assets: Igor Rabello  - He returned to the bench as an unused sub in Sunday's match. That means Gabriel's time as a starting center-back is likely to be over quite soon, although it's possible Réver make's way instead. Rabello's price has dropped and recent auctions are going for about .08 ETH. I'm tempted to try and snag one as I think he'd be a solid buy & hold or a flip opportunity. Jefferson Savarino - Venezuela was eliminated from Copa America and should return to play with Atlético shortly, even as

Side Income & Sign Up Bonuses - Bitcoin & Crypto Edition

By far my most popular post was one I did in 2016 on Side Income Sources . I listed out several ways I had made some beermoney/extra cash online. In the couple years that followed my focus for generating side income shifted to credit card & bank account bonus churning. I highly recommend Doctor of Credit  and the r/churning subreddit if you're looking to get into that hobby. These days I have young kids and also generate side income mowing lawns so I don't spend nearly as much time in any of the endeavors listed above. That said, I'm not likely to pass up a deal if it's not too time consuming or if it involves a financial product I'm hoping to try anyway. I thought it'd be fun to do an updated version of my side income post 5 years later in a space that has become a prominent interest/hobby for me. Suffice to say that 2021 has been "The Year of Crypto" for me. The staying power of blockchain technology & decentralized monetary networks has bec

Lineup Trends for Atlético Mineiro & Search for Sorare Value

This post will share some of the research I've done on the Brazilian soccer/football team Atlético Mineiro (aka Atlético MG or Atlético) and try to anticipate players whose cards may be undervalued on Sorare . As of this writing, Atlético Mineiro is the only Brazilian team licensed on the platform. I'd never heard of the team prior to Sorare but I purchased on of the player's cards after some brief research to help me field some teams while the other summer leagues went on international break. As I've started to follow they've gone on an impressive run. They are 13-2-5 in their last 20 games, despite playing every midweek and having multiple players away on international duty & out with COVID. I haven't seen much if any coverage of the team in English, so with a bit of digging and a lot of Google Translate, I've started reading up on their lineup changes and even tracking it in spreadsheet form. It's a few weeks before I begin w/ lineups in my spread