Skip to main content

Observations After 3 Days of My First 30 Day Challenge

It may seem a little early to be reflecting on my 30 day challenge when I'm only 1/10th of the way through it. Could I really have learned anything after such a short time? Sure I could have! I want to keep my writing momentum going and while I'm sure I'll have different takeaways when the month is over, I also think it'll be interesting to look back at how I felt when I was just getting started. For those who missed last post, the challenge is simple: take at least 1 picture every day for 30 days.

Observation 1: Winter is probably not the ideal time for this challenge. I'm realizing that I prefer to take pictures outdoors, as I think most people do. Many of us find beauty in a body of water, cityscape, sunset, or wildlife, and therefore we are more inclined to try and capture those things. The problem with winter here in Minnesota is twofold: it's really cold, and it gets dark earlier. So I am less likely to be outside over lunch and when I do leave work it's already dark, limiting the outdoor possibilities. Most of my photos so far have been taken indoors, which is fine because it still meets the challenge, but even so I am going to be on the lookout for a snow covered landscape sometime during the day this weekend.

Observation 2: I keep wanting to photograph myself. Maybe the selfie generation is rubbing off on me, maybe I really am the most interesting thing around at the time, or maybe I'm self-obsessed, but I've had to remind myself to vary my subjects beyond just me or what I'm working on at the moment. In my defense, my options have been limited due to the reasons I listed in Observation 1, but it's also an interesting realization about how limited my scope is when it comes to what I consider "photo worthy". Fortunately as I write this I realize I have plenty of simple subject matter sitting around my house: a pen, a light bulb, a piece of fruit. Look at me, expanding my horizons!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Atlético Mineiro Follow-Up

A quick follow-up after my post on Atlético Mineiro trying to find value options on the  Sorare  platform. I hope I haven't jinxed them! After talking about what good form they've been in, they've gone on to lose 2 straight, scoring only 1 goal in the process. Certainly the lack of some key pieces and incessant schedule have to be playing a role and so I don't think fans need to panic just yet. But on to the team news and assessment of assets: Igor Rabello  - He returned to the bench as an unused sub in Sunday's match. That means Gabriel's time as a starting center-back is likely to be over quite soon, although it's possible Réver make's way instead. Rabello's price has dropped and recent auctions are going for about .08 ETH. I'm tempted to try and snag one as I think he'd be a solid buy & hold or a flip opportunity. Jefferson Savarino - Venezuela was eliminated from Copa America and should return to play with Atlético shortly, even as

Lineup Trends for Atlético Mineiro & Search for Sorare Value

This post will share some of the research I've done on the Brazilian soccer/football team Atlético Mineiro (aka Atlético MG or Atlético) and try to anticipate players whose cards may be undervalued on Sorare . As of this writing, Atlético Mineiro is the only Brazilian team licensed on the platform. I'd never heard of the team prior to Sorare but I purchased on of the player's cards after some brief research to help me field some teams while the other summer leagues went on international break. As I've started to follow they've gone on an impressive run. They are 13-2-5 in their last 20 games, despite playing every midweek and having multiple players away on international duty & out with COVID. I haven't seen much if any coverage of the team in English, so with a bit of digging and a lot of Google Translate, I've started reading up on their lineup changes and even tracking it in spreadsheet form. It's a few weeks before I begin w/ lineups in my spread

Side Income & Sign Up Bonuses - Bitcoin & Crypto Edition

By far my most popular post was one I did in 2016 on Side Income Sources . I listed out several ways I had made some beermoney/extra cash online. In the couple years that followed my focus for generating side income shifted to credit card & bank account bonus churning. I highly recommend Doctor of Credit  and the r/churning subreddit if you're looking to get into that hobby. These days I have young kids and also generate side income mowing lawns so I don't spend nearly as much time in any of the endeavors listed above. That said, I'm not likely to pass up a deal if it's not too time consuming or if it involves a financial product I'm hoping to try anyway. I thought it'd be fun to do an updated version of my side income post 5 years later in a space that has become a prominent interest/hobby for me. Suffice to say that 2021 has been "The Year of Crypto" for me. The staying power of blockchain technology & decentralized monetary networks has bec